Skip to main content

Moses' Excuses

Moses will always be remembered as the great prophet who led the Israelites from slavery in Egypt to the promised land in Canaan. In fact, the Bible says there has never been any prophet like him with regards to fellowship with God and signs and wonders (Deuteronomy 34:10-12). 

Yet when God called and commissioned him, Moses like most of us was very reluctant to go. After his failed attempt at helping his people and living as a shepherd for forty years, he certainly had lost his confidence and fire.

These are the objections he tried to give God:

1. Who am I? (Exodus 3:11)



2. They will not believe me and will doubt that I really saw God. (Exodus 4:1)



3. I am not eloquent (Exodus 4:11)


4. Send someone else pleeeeaaassseeee. (Exodus 4:13)



Nevertheless, God who had called and chosen him from his mother's womb was patient and persistent. He promised to be with Moses every step of the way and He will be with you too.

After Moses had exhausted his list of excuses, he obeyed and became the legendary Moses we know. 

What are your excuses? Remember, excuses will always exist but stepping out in faith is the only way to succeed.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stalker God?

One Sunday during a church Bible study on salvation, the Bible study leader spoke about the coming judgement and told us that God keeps a record of the things we do and we will be judged according to our works. Someone asked why God follows us recording everything we do to judge us on the last day when He Himself had said we're saved when we believe in Christ. The leader asked the congregation if any of us had an answer and I shared my opinion. I gave quite a lengthy explanation on the difference between the judgment of Christians and the judgment of the world, the various crowns and rewards that will be given on the last day, and the fact that our lives are an eternal record of the glory of God and an example to the world. Everyone seemed to like what I said and I was applauded. After church, one of the junior pastors told me that he liked my answer during the Bible study class and I left, feeling a warm glow inside. As I thought about it, my mind was opened and I underst

Work And Pray

How would I feel if someone forcibly carried me away from my home to their country as a slave? Not happy is an understatement. Would I pray for them? Yes. That God would punish them. Would I pray for them to have peace and prosper? No. Definitely not! I haven't thought about the fact that should there be war or famine among them, I'd be affected because I live there too. And should things be good there, I'll enjoy (a little bit) because I'm there. But my beastly human nature says, "I don't care if I'm affected too. Let them suffer as they made me suffer". But how would it help me? Would suffering first in my homeland and later in my land of captivity help me? No. When the Israelites were carried away captive to Babylon, this is what God told them: "Work to see that the city where I sent you as exiles enjoys peace and prosperity. Pray to the LORD for it. For as it prospers you will prosper." (Her 29:7, NET). Now if God asked

Jacob's Story

                            He was an old man.  Though he had lived a full life, he had his regrets and sorrows too. He had seen things and done things, had lived a rich and full life, but the sorrow of burying his beloved wife would never entirely leave him.  She had died young, dearly beloved, during childbirth. But at least the child had survived, and he loved the child fiercely, together with the first child his wife gave birth to. But the older son too was dead. He had been killed by a wild animal and all that was left of him was a blood stained coat he himself had made for the boy. The future looked bleak now. There was a drought and a severe famine.  No rain, no food. Just dust, and thirst and heat. What use was gold in such a time when there was no food to buy with the gold and they couldn't eat the gold too? But he had heard reports that there was food in Egypt. So he sent his other sons, ten of them and they had come back with plenty corn. But they return